In some cases you may need to get some extra information about your customers before checkout. It might be:
- tax ID number
- “How did you find us” survey
- additional information about a customer
- a general comment or instruction to the order
- feedback on the store
- some specific considerations that your customer would like to attach like a gift note or preferred delivery time
- any message, depending on the specific business you do. Your store provides two approaches which give your customers an opportunity to leave comments to the whole order as well as to every item in particular.
If you want your customers to leave comments for an order on checkout use Order Comments tool that enables customers to enter their comments for an order on checkout.
“Order comments” box is enabled on the System Settings → General → Cart → Order comments.
Order comments can later be available in order’s details on “Sales” page of the control panel.
If you want your customers to leave such a comment about each item in the order, you can use product options. The customers will be able to leave their comments to each product in the order, which will as well be reflected on the order details page. Product options are enabled on the Catalog → Product → Options page of your control panel. Click “New option”, name it and choose the input type in the drop-down menu. Tick “Required option” if you want it to be obligatory, save the changes.
If you want to have an additional field which can work as an alternative to a custom field in the checkout form, there is a workaround; in the control panel, System Settings → General → Cart, enable the “Ask for company name” option. This will enable the Company field in the address forms on the checkout. Then rename it the way you need using this method. This custom solution will provide you with an additional information field on checkout. The information will as well be available on the order details page.